Thursday, July 1, 2010

What is Kwaidan

Kwaidan: Stories and Studies of Strange Things (怪談 Kaidan, also Kwaidan (archaic)), often shortened to Kwaidan, is a book by Lafcadio Hearn that features several Japanese ghost stories and a brief study on insects. It was later used as the basis for a movie called Kwaidan by Masaki Kobayashi in 1965.

Kaidan is Japanese for "ghost story". (Good old Wikipedia.)

So with this in mind I'm setting out to make a horror type video game. I don't want it to be to scary, my son is only three and I would like for him to be able to enjoy it without having nightmares. I'm thinking Walt Disney's Haunted House scary, not Silent Hill scary. My 3d models are coming along (did my first walk animation yesterday) now I have to figure out away to post it on my blog. I've begun to draw some of the strange ghosts for the game. Japanese ghost are called Yurei they come in two types, the Gaki and Jikininki both come from the Buddhist faith and I'd like to make Buddhism a under lying theme through out the game. The only thing that concerns me is I don't want to offend anyone who is Japanese so I must do some more research on the subject of Japanese folklore.

No comments:

Post a Comment